Monday, April 22, 2013

Start!

 It is rare that I venture into the city that never sleeps, the one in my backyard, a mere 50 minute train ride away. It is even rarer that I find myself embarking on a trip there alone.
Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE the city, but I love experiencing it with friends. It is a place that automatically makes you feel small and insignificant without heaping being alone on top of it.
But today, I stepped outside of my realm of comfort... I am at a book launch event for an author that I recently discovered., Jon Acuff. I am an avid listener of the Dave Ramsey show and was introduced to the book "Quitter", a very honest conversation about finding and following your path to your dream job.
Jon's new book "Start" promises to help you punch fear in the face and move into a life of awesome. Jon's writing is very much a no holds barred discussion with an old friend. He is witty and current but has a way to hit you to the core with a sucker punch of reality. 
 
This launch event was an intimate gathering in an off Broadway theater.  Jon shared with us the main themes of this book in a way only he could. He touched on narwhals, and geriatric versions of Thelma and Louise, shared his path to awesome and the pain of cutting loose the negative forces in your life. We were challenged to take the power away from the voices inside of us, bring them into the light of day to see how small and untrue they are.  It was time to examine our life and move it from average to ordinary! 
All of these words hit me hard. Do I know what my dreams are?  Am I strong enough to fight the voices that are so powerful on the inside?  He told us about the site he started called No More Voices. I have spent some time on there and I think that it is an amazing place for anyone struggling with self doubt.

I don't know what my future holds.  But what I do know is that my future self will be tickled to look back on this day as my START!
Sarah and Jon Acuff
Sarah and Dave Ramsey
Check out this video about the book "Start"

The Foods for Thought:
I had some time befor the event started and needed a snack. You gotta love food trucks so I took the opportunity for a yummy portobello empanada from Nuchas NYC.
  • Yummy crispy and pocket change prices!

Dinner was a great happenstance!  One of my very special "heart friends" was also in Times Square today and we were able to connect!  We went to one of her favorite places (and now mine too). Havana Central- just one block off of Times Square had the impact of instantly transporting us out of NYC. With beautiful decor and a lively band we shared an amazing seafood paella that left us both wanting a nap!
  •   Convenient and authentic for a special night.
Amazing Seafood Paella!
Julie LOVING her Paella!

2 comments:

  1. So very jealous. You live just a train ride away from the city? Wow! I've only been to JFK and waited on the runway for 8 long hours before we finally took off for Paris 19 years ago. Thank goodness for #hashtags, Dave Ramsey and Jon Acuff or I would not of found your blog. Going to check out No More Voices right now! Thank you for the tour of Times Square, maybe I'll put NYC on my 40 before I'm 40 birthday bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra, Thank you for making your way over here! I love your blog! I look forward to reading the post you told me about on instagram. You are welcome to NYC whenever you want! You will have your own personal tour guide!!

    ReplyDelete