Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Living In Lycra

Week 1

     It feels like every aspect of my life has become surrounded by lycra; pants, socks, sports bras, shirts, shoes and shoelaces..  Its ridiculous..  I could almost say that they are a sponsor or mine!!  This past week was my first "Official" training week.  This means running 4 days a week and a day of cross training.  Never before have I so looked forward to Friday and Sunday (rest days).


     I think more important that the running this week was the decision that I have made to turn this run into a fundraiser.  I will be running to benefit the children of Variety Child Learning Center.  Please check out the info!


Monday (really Sunday didn't know I was really starting) 7/7/13
3.19 miles     50:00 mins     15:40 average pace
     Sadly this run was on the "Dreadmill".  With weather on the iffy side I hit the gym and worked on consistent pacing.  While the overall average pace was nothing to sing about, I am happy that I was able to stay at a level pace for the majority of the time.

Tuesday 7/9/13
3.00 miles     44:14 mins     14:44 average pace
     Second official 1/2 marathon training run! Was sluggish because of the humidity. But something wonderful happened... I was really fading and a car pulled up along side me, all the windows down. I steeled myself for a mocking. Instead there were a bunch of young kids yelling and clapping and a mom giving the thumbs up and yelling, "keep it up!! You will have the best experiences running! Your doing great just keep going!!" As she pulled away, the back of her minivan was plastered with stickers, "Tri", "Ultra", "I'm a Diva", "I'm only 1/2 crazy!" Just the push I needed, the burst of energy and encouragement.... Thank you! I don't know you... But you are a friend. 

Wednesday  7/10/13
30 mins Cross Training
     I LOVE my Wednesday's.  Every Wednesday for a year I have met with Frank.  Frank kicks my butt, religiously, every Wednesday morning before the birds are up.  This butt-kicking took the form of boxing.  I love going rounds with the heavy bag, but also sparring with Frank.  Wednesday's are not just the physical workout but, the conversation has become a great sounding board not only for health and nutrition, but life in general. 

Thursday  7/11/13
3.01 miles     46:27 mins     15:27 average pace
     This morning I had a serious case of "I don't wanna!" But I did... And Mother Nature taught me a lesson.... She rained on me for a mile +. Pace was slow, but under the pace I need to maintain for the race. 

Saturday 7/13/13
4.01 miles     58:19 mins     14:34 average pace 
     Today's theme... RAIN! I really didn't want to run in the rain, especially not 4 miles.  After some input from other runners.  I donned a hat, wrapped my phone with plastic wrap and hit the pavement.  I was surprised that I saw 3 other runners (all women) out there being badass with me in the rain.  I felt good the whole way and bested my previous 4m time by 3 mins!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment