Thursday, July 25, 2013

Crossing It Off

Week 2

     Hanging on my kitchen cabinet at eye level is my training plan.  It is a visual reminder not only to me, but to the Husband of what the commitment is that I have made.  He has been given full permission to harass me about not getting in training runs, to remind me of what my goals are, and to kick me out of bed when the alarm goes off.  I am pretty sure that the most satisfying part about going for a run... is crossing that day off of the training plan!  As someone once told me, it is like the count down to Christmas!


     I think more important that the running this week was the decision that I have made to turn this run into a fundraiser.  I will be running to benefit the children of Variety Child Learning Center.  Please check out the info!


Monday  7/15/13
3.00 miles     43:17 mins     14.25 average pace
      The temperature for this run was great but the humidity was killer!!  The high humidity has a habit of making my lungs heavy.  I hope that just means that my lungs are getting strong too!

Tuesday 7/16/13
3.00 miles     44:30 mins     14:50 average pace
      Tuesday is always slower than Monday, but today my feet were just heavy.  I know that I have to start working out what my nutrition is going to be while on my long runs, so I tried an electrolyte drink during the run (not going to say who, but it is a popular brand) and it tasted like salty alka-seltzer... I think that I will pass....On to the next product to try... I have one on deck for Saturday's long run.
Wednesday  7/17/13
30 mins Cross Training
     Got my weekly butt kicking!  Boxing, and sparring, and kicking oh my!!  Let me just tell you.. I DON'T float like a butterfly!!

Thursday  7/18/13
3.00 miles     44:57 mins     14:29 average pace
     I am not really thrilled with the pace but I walked significantly less than previously. I know that I will start seeing improvement over time, but I had really hoped the there would be less struggle by now.  I can only hope this means progress is being made, albeit, slow progress.

Saturday 7/20/13
5.00 miles     1:13:29     14:41 average pace 
      I really feared this run. 5miles seems like way more than 4!! I had set a goal time for myself of 1:15:00, thinking that was reasonable considering my previous times.  It was super humid again even at 5am so I was very surprised when my final push got me to the finish at 1:13:30.  I tackled the run a .25mile at a time and I will happily take the time!


The Goods - As I am preparing for the big day, I will be trying out gear and nutritional goodies to see what gear works for me.  Gear and nutrition are both a very personal choice and there are oodles of options.  I hope that I can shed light on a small percentage of them!!

     This week's goodies: Generation UCan - I was the lucky winner of a pack of these great sports energy drinks from RunningNerds in the "Virtual Half Marathon & Treadmill Challenge 5K".  
     During my Saturday long run I decided to give two of their drinks a go.  Before heading out, I mixed up the Cran-Raz Sports Drink Mix.  I was really happy with how simply it mixed with the water and how smooth the texture was.  There were no strange flavors breaking through.  
     I always love to end my long runs with an ice cold protein shake, so bring on the Vanilla Protein Enhanced Drink Mix.  One aspect that I love the most is that it can be mixed with water!  One of my goals along this journey is to be dropping some pounds.  I appreciate the 16 oz size with out the calorie hit of 16 oz. of milk!  Again, I was very pleased with the taste and the texture.  
     The biggest thing lacking was that "protein taste" that comes along with a lot of protein laced beverages.  To top it all off, this company has been built of a great foundation and vision.  Check them out and let them know that MommyInPieces sent you!


No comments:

Post a Comment